15. Actually Talking About My Game

So I've spent these past few months mostly reading and writing so much in terms of research, and have just realised I've made very little headway in terms of what my game actually will be like. This post will include visual references (because it's a GAME) and thus I guess won't count in the 15 posts and I'll need to make another one.

Working Title
I've decided to narrow down the focus of my game to just the wheelchair scenario, and thus the current working title is "Chaise La Vie", a probably not grammatically correct play on the French phrase "C'est la vie", translated as "That's life". "Chaise" means Chair, so the working title of my game is Chair Life. I don't have drafts for a logo design yet, but I want to try to incorporate a wheel into it, symbolising how the wheel of life rises and falls and people in privilege might find themselves in a situationally handicapped scenario at times.

Visual Style References
Kurzgesagt is a big primary visual influence, with their bright hues with rounded flat graphics. However I need to be cautious about colour tone contrast, and making sure that the information I'm trying to convey doesn't purely rely on colour.
The Dumb Ways To Die series of games and videos are a great example of making something education and still amusing. I like their simple shapes and clear font treatment, and how simple and clear their UI is. 


This is a screenshot from the gamified money-management app Fortune City, and I'm using it as a reference for how I want to layout the larger map of my city. I like the well spaced-out blocks of buildings and how everything can be clearly seen. 

Gameplay (I should probably make a storyboard of this)
The intro screen will only include the game title and the instructions to "Press SPACE to start". 

The next screen will show a brief clip of the scenario - The main character wakes up, panics when she sees the clock and realises she is running late for her flight home for the holidays. She quickly gets dressed, and rushes out the door. Only when she's leaving will the player see that she's rolling out in a wheelchair. 

The user will be shown the controls and have the option to click to proceed (not a countdown). 

The game starts, there's a timer and the player needs to make it to the destination (airport) within the time allocated. 

If the player succeeds, the character has an ending scene where she makes it onto her flight, and goes home and hugs her family. 

If the player fails, the character is shown dejectedly looking at her flight depart. 

Obstacles faced: 
- Small ledges can be rolled down forcefully (screen will shake?) but can't be rolled up. 
- Big ledges are just completely impassable, also stairs. 
- People crowding up the ramp area of a pedestrian crossing 
- Struggling to push open doors
- Ignored by automatic door sensors
- Ramps which are too steep to go up. 








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

4. Trying out the Implicit Association Test (Part 2)

14. Microsoft Inclusive Design Toolkit (Manual)